The 20th century has seen developments such as the following:-
1902: A side altar in honour of St. Anthony was erected.
1912: Another altar - to Our Lady - was erected. Both were set up through donations by individual members of the Secular Franciscan Order.
1938: The side chapels to Saint Anne and Saint The'rese were set up.
1956: Saint Francis Hall, adjoining the friary, was opened in April. It is now used by youth groups, the
ISPCC, for arts and crafts exhibitions, for badminton, karate, dancing, and fund-raising.
1959 -60: A new novitiate was opened across Pennefeather Lane.
1976: A regular Sunday Mass in Irish was begun.
1982: On 10 October, the roof of the friary was badly damaged by fire. A quick response from the nearby Kilkenny Fire Service prevented the 1055 of the whole complex of buildings, though some items of historical significance were destroyed.
1985: The church was renovated. This involved substantial work in the sanctuary, the provision of a new porch, new lighting and heating systems, interior and exterior painting and decorating.